Trestle bridge

The Wettington and Mahawatu Railway finally has its trestle bridge. There weren't many trees left in Wettington early in the 20th Century so it is a bit rickety - some of those beams look under spec. Never mind: at long last the W&MR can push on to the mine at the top of Mt Kaukau.

Image

It's not built to any great standard, but it only took a weekend.
I found some hardwood garden stakes about 1cm square in packets of a dozen 1m lengths, so I grabbed a few. I'm glad I did because I haven't seen them again. Indonesia must have run out of rainforest.
I ripped some in half with a Dremel 4" table saw.
The trestles were assembled on a simple jig on a breadboard, glued with outdoor polyurethane glue.
I drilled and nailed it as well. Next time I'll use square-head copper nails. They look better than I expected (I tried a few on one trestle.)
The beams were glued to the underside of the trackwork: 20cm long on the outside of the 120cm diameter track, 18cm on the inside.
I dug a trench, lined it with sand, and installed some paver foundations.
Then the track was installed and the trestles were attached to the underside with double-sided carpet tape. A little styrene sheet served as shims.
Then I buried it in top-course (only half done in the photo below). It will be left to the weather to make the shingle slide look more natural.

Image